Using and Maintaining Your Certificate

Once you have a teaching certificate, whether Level I or Level II, it must be used and maintained properly for a long and rewarding teaching career.

Using Your Certificate

What do I do if I lose my certificate?
If you lose your certificate, you can download and print a copy from TIMS. On your home screen, click on the Print link in the Credential(s) section. 

I want my name changed on my certificate. How can I do that?
If your name has been legally changed for any reason, you may request a name change. Name change requests should be made on your TIMS home screen. Click on Name or SSN Change Application in the Profile & Settings section.

I recently moved. Who do I contact to report the change?
It is your responsibility to contact the Bureau of School Leadership and Teacher Quality to report a change to your permanent address. Failure to do so may result in you not receiving pertinent information relative to your certification. Changes to your mailing address, email address, phone number, etc. should be made on your TIMS home screen. Click View & Update My Profile in the Profile & Settings section.

What do I do if I want to delete an endorsement area on my certificate?
Annually, between October 1 and December 31, any holder of a standard Pennsylvania certificate may request and the Department of Education will grant, the following June 30, the deletion of any endorsement area when either of the following conditions is met:

  • The applicant has possessed a certificate endorsed in the area for which deletion is sought for at least five (5) years and has not taught in that area during that time; or
  • The applicant is not a regularly employed full-time teacher of a public school entity as determined by the local school entity.

Note:   Once an endorsement is deleted, the only way it can be reinstated is to enroll in a current preparation program and meet all the educational and non-educational requirements for current certification.
CSPG 12 – Voluntary Deletion of Areas of Certification

In addition to having the certificate, are there any other requirements for employment?
Yes. A criminal background check and a child abuse clearance are both required for employment in Pennsylvania schools. Go to for more information. 



Member Advocacy Center

Featured Video